maggots in my trash bin/ how I got rid of them.

About this site Forums Reader Stories maggots in my trash bin/ how I got rid of them.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  James 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

ponyshanks

My husband and I are both pensioners, and my husband is very restricted in his food intake. Most of which is made up with chicken. Much to my surprise, I found my trash bin full of maggots and wanting to get rid of them of course, I checked out this site for suggestions, and the most helpful I thought, was where a reader suggested using Carburater cleanser. I went to our local hardward store and although I found this to be rather expensive, I did buy a tin. When I got home, eager to spray my bin, but somewhere in the back of my mind I remembered how helpful in so many different ways, I have found Vinegar to be and of course it is very cheap. and so, before using my Carb Cleaner, I poured some brown vinegar into my bin, closed the lid and waited for about an hour. Most of the maggots seemed to be gone, but just to make sure and as I already had it, I sprayed the bin with the Carb cleaner Maggots all gone, but again for me it was expensive. and so, when I put a new black bag into the bin, after a day the maggots were back, and so again I poured vinegar in and left. all maggots gone. and so now, when I put a new bag in the bin, I will throw vinegar into the bag and see if the maggots come back… just wanted to share this.

James

Thank you so much for this information.

I’m curious, had the maggots actually “disappeared” or were they still in the bin, but dead?

ponyshanks

Hi James.

I must apologise for not getting back to you sooner. The day I used vinegar only, they did not disappear completely, but seemed to fall into the black bag. As the bag was full and due to be taken away the next morning, I did not take too much notice, except that I did see that they had reduced considerably. Putting a new bag into the bin, I poured some vinegar into the bag and although I have only used the bag for 3 days, I have not seen one maggot so far. I will report back again the day before it is removed which will be in a further 3 days time…. Perhaps it is the vinegar that stops the flies from laying their eggs. In anycase from my point of view, and being a pensioner, if the vinegar works for whatever reason and keeps them away then I will be happy as it is a very inexpensive way to get rid of them…. do try it and report back will you….. Ponyshanks.

ponyshanks

Hi James, a further report for you. It is now day 6 since the new black bag was put in the bin. I use a fair amount of chicken in the house and I suspect that it is the raw chicken (bones/skin) that has been attracting the maggots. I have always put these in a seperate bag and sealed it before putting it into my big bin…. I have not done anything different since I started with the problem, except as said before, pour a little vinegar into the new empty black bag.
    It is my intention from now on, to continue to pour a little vinegar into the new bag……………… Hope this helps. Ponyshanks.

James

Thanks for the update Ponyshanks…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.